Sunday, October 3, 2010

A FALL PROJECT FOR CURB APPEAL

Fall has always been one of my favourite seasons… the changing of the leaves, crisp air and the great holiday of Thanksgiving.

I was recently at Terra Greenhouse (this is one place I love to get inspiration).  I find they have so many wonderful ideas whether it’s for entertaining, accessories or gardening.  Now that fall has arrived, it was time for me to welcome it with my annual planter creation.  First, I was on a mission to find the right container and for some time, I have wanted one with height to give the house the “curb appeal” it deserves.    Luckily they had just received a new shipment and I ended up getting two – one for either side of the garage.  I loved looking around at all the wonderful selection of plants, flowers and different coloured mums.

They always have a great selection of ready made planters which I find most people think "why go to the hassle of buying plants and soil when they have it done for you"?  As weird as this may sound, I find it relaxing and most importantly feel proud when I have created something on my own.   Doing these projects on your own can also save money allowing more room for creativity.

The Creativity begins...

To begin, I took photos of their completed planters as guides and ideas.  Then I picked out the plants I wanted to use.  I decided to go with the red mums with cabbage in various colours and a few mini pepper plants.  I included ears of corn and tall grass for some height.   As we get closer to Halloween, I will add mini pumpkins and Halloween accessories.

The planter was tall so I had my wonderful assistant (my hubby) help me build a platform.  Rocks were used to add some weight.  
Building the planter platform
I am really pleased with my final creations which has updated the front look of the house.    
Planter 1

Planter 2
When I am staging a home, I always start my consultation outside because curb appeal is vital.  People get an impression of your home before they even walk through the doors.  You want to show you care about your home and make it as welcoming as possible.  By adding planters such as these with some colour, it can make a world of difference. 
I hope I have given you some inspiration to add some wonderful, easy colour outside and welcome our beautiful fall season to your own living space.  Take a drive to your local greenhouse and look around at the endless possibilities.



2 comments: