Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nothing beats real homemade tomato sauce


Last week, I went through my regular routine (about every 2-3 months) of making my big batch of tomato sauce.  A lot of my friends will make their tomato sauce on Sundays.  I find making my big batch allows me make portions that I can freeze so anytime I want to make pasta, I have it ready to go.
Each time I make my sauce, I have memories of my mom doing this every Sunday.  We would go to Sunday mass and when we returned, she would make her pot of sauce that would be enough for the week.  It was a tradition to have a pasta dish for Sunday lunch/dinner.
My sauce process takes about two hours since I also make homemade meatballs.  I have been asked by some friends for recipes for my sauce and meatballs.  I really don’t have a recipe.  I just add as I go along.  I have the usual spices and ingredients but as for amounts, I couldn’t really tell you since I just “eye” it. 
The tomatoes I use are those that we did back at the end of the summer with my parents.  That was a 3 day process of canning the tomatoes but nothing beats the real thing.
When I make my big batch, I usually use 10-12 jars depending on how long I want them to last or if I will be needing the sauce for special occasions or making things such as lasagna etc.
For my sauce, my usual spices are basil, oregano, parsley (Italian seasonings), salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  I also sauté some onions and garlic.

The sauce usually simmers a bit with the spices and onion/garlic while I prepare the meatballs.
On this occasion, I used three types of ground meat for the meatballs – beef, veal and pork.  Depending on what is available, I have made them with just beef but I find using a variety of meats gives it a better, richer taste.
I also add some minced garlic and/or onion, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, eggs, grated parmigiano cheese and bread crumbs.  Again, I can’t give you amounts since I really eye ball it and look for a certain texture of the meat.  I don’t really want it to be “dry” but have some moisture to it.  I usually add at least ½ cup to 1 cup of cheese and at least ½ cup of bread crumbs when I’m making a big batch as I did with this.
Once all the meatballs have been rolled, I have put them in the oven.  I have also fried them in the past when I only have a few.  Baking them doesn’t take as long and I find doesn’t have all the oil from frying.  I usually bake them at about 375 for about 25 minutes or until they are getting browned.  I also turn them during the baking process.  Depending on the size of the meatballs, they may take more or less time.
I will then add the meatballs to the sauce and have the sauce simmer for about 2 hours to infuse the flavour of the meat into the sauce.  Boy, does the kitchen smell great when I am making the sauce!  I remember when my mom made her sauce, she would put some in a bowl, give me some fresh italian crusty bread and I would dunk away.  Talk about an amazing snack while I waited for lunch or dinner! 

I know some of you may be thinking, “I don’t have the time to do this” or "I don’t have canned tomato jars”.  There are other alternatives to making your own.  You can buy canned tomatoes and then make your own pasta sauce.  My process may take a bit of extra time but nothing beats the taste of homemade.  It also allows me to continue my Italian family tradition of making my own sauce.  My goal is to continue this tradition with my kids when they grow up and have their own families!  I hope I have inspired you to try something homemade – Buon Appetito!!!



 

1 comment: